Prepare for War: The Battle of the Books Begins

Getty Images

Close-up of opened book on bookshelf on blurred books background. Home library reading books concept. Close up. Selective soft focus. Shallow depth of field. Text copy space.

Talia Badalamente, Reporter

Promoting literacy and creativity, Battle of the Books was initiated. In the School District of Palm Beach County, Battle of the Books is an annual competition where students are assigned a few books, and are tested on their knowledge and understanding of the selected books. Anyone and everyone is welcome to join. There are 3 categories of this competition, 3-5th grade, 6-8th grade, and 9-12th. A winner is selected out of each category. Students participating in this event get to choose their own teams which can be 2-5 people. In January, each team logs in with a sponsor to an online test where they have to answer trivia questions based on the selected books for the competitions. The top scoring teams from the trivia test are then qualified to move on to the next round. These lucky winners then meet in May to compete in a mock game show, where only 1 team wins. 

If you’re looking to participate in this fun competition this year, be sure to join the google classroom with the code “qonr6hh“. If you have any further questions regarding Battle of the Books be sure to talk to Mrs. Cannon. You must join before the end of September! Meeting dates, and books will be assigned later on. Battle of the books is an exciting competitive way to meet new people who have the same interests. It’s a great way to engage in extracurriculars, while making new friends.

For more information visit: https://www.palmbeachschools.org/cms/One.aspx?portalId=270616&pageId=8917261