Tips to Get Over Them

Maya Zohar, Staff Writer

Heartbreak: the feeling of overwhelming sadness when the waiter walks your way with a plate of food and ends up bringing it to the person in the table in front of you. Heartbreak comes in many shapes and forms, but the one people struggle with the most is getting let down by a loved one that they thought would be “the one.” Dating typically starts during a person’s teenage years, where they are doomed to face the struggle of a breakup unless they are part of the 2% that end up becoming high school sweethearts. 

No matter who a person is, they can be the average student or the next Albert Einstein, heartbreak gets the best of everyone. Thirty-six students were asked what methods they use to cope with a breakup, and 20  of them claimed they listen to sad music, which makes them even more upset. Listening to music may feel comforting for a short moment, but there are much better and healthier options that help heal a broken heart and not just give a temporary solution. Below are some tips that make the breakup process a slight bit more manageable. 

• Cut them off 

In some cases, after a breakup, the two individuals agree that they will try to be friends. There is nothing wrong with being friends with an ex, as long as no feelings are involved. For a friendship to be fruitful, keeping a distance from one another is necessary to make sure that you get the chance to mourn and move on. This means no texting, calling, or meeting up in person until both individuals managed their emotions. 

• Let yourself mourn 

A breakup brings about a lot of emotional distress. It is not easy to let go of someone who has become a part of your daily routine. For this reason, you should not feel obligated to hold back your emotions and act as if you do not mind. It is okay to cry, and it is okay to feel upset if anything it is much healthier to let it all out rather than keep it bottled up. Mourning can be through writing down your emotions or even talking to a close friend or relative. Sometimes all you need to do is be by yourself with a tub of ice cream watching the notebook for the fifth time and face your feelings head-on. 

• Focus on yourself 

After giving yourself a chance to mourn, it is vital to get back on your feet. You can do so by exercising or changing your diet. Work on strengthening your mind and your body. In fact, you may even want to get a haircut or have your nails done to feel brand new. Increase your motivation and shake off anything or anyone that is bringing you down. 

• Keep yourself occupied 

Find comfort in your friends and have a night out. If that is not an option, enjoy your own company and try something that you always wanted to try. Do things that you were not able to do during the relationship that makes you feel empowered and in control. Not to mention, a breakup gives you more time to focus on your school work and goals for your future. Use these circumstances to your advantage and make something new for yourself that will benefit you in the long run. 

• Keep your head up

Most importantly, no matter what the situation is, try to always make your life the best it can be. Keep your head up because, in the end, it all happens for a reason. It may feel inconvenient at the moment, but in the long run, it makes you stronger and prepares you for the next best thing that is to come.