Who is Amy Coney Barrett?

Ashley Annese, Staff Writer

After the death of our honorable Supreme Court Justice, Ruth Bader Gingsburg, President Trump nominated Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court. Here is some information about who she is, what she supports and her qualifications for the job:

• Barrett was appointed with a bipartisan vote of 52 to 48.
  • It took just over a week to fast track her into office.
  • Judge Barrett served in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
  • Judge Barrett was appointed by Chief Justice John Roberts to sit on the Advisory Committee on Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure; she served from 2010 to 2016.
  • Judge Barrett clerked for D.C. Circuit Judge Laurence Silberman and for Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia.
  • Judge Barrett practiced both trial and appellate litigation in Washington, D.C. at Miller, Cassidy, Larroca, & Lewin, and at Baker Botts.
  • Judge Barrett’s record on gun rights and immigration cases imply she would be as reliable a vote on the right of the court, as Ginsburg was on the left, according to Jonathan Turley, a professor of law at George Washington University.
  • Her vote along with a conservative majority, could make the difference for decades ahead, especially on issues such like abortion and the Affordable Care Act. 
  • Judge Barrett’s legal opinions and remarks on abortion and gay marriage have made her popular with the religious conservatives.
  • Like her mentor Justice Scalia, she is an originalist, which is a belief that judges should attempt to interpret the words of the Constitution as the authors intended when they were written. Liberals believe interpretation should be loose and evolve along with the times. 
  • She has seven kids, two of her children are adopted from Haiti and five are biological children.
  • Sources for this article consist of whitehouse.gov, bbc.com, ballotpedia.org, and politico.com