No SAT/ACT? No Problem!

Paige Richards, Reporter

As far as standardizing testing, the requirements to get into colleges have changed for some schools due to COVID-19. Previously to the virus, SAT, and ACT scores were required in getting enrolled in all colleges. Ever since the virus occurred, several colleges do not require SAT or ACT testing due to cancelled testing days that made it impossible for juniors to take the exams for admissions.

Here are 13 colleges out of several that do not require SAT/ACT testing in the United States: 

• Pitzer College
  • New York University
  • Hampshire College
  • Cornell College
  • St. John’s University
  • George Washington University
  • Montana State University
  • Colorado College
  • Campbellsville University 

Above states a few of many colleges that do not require standardized testing due to COVID-19. 

With that being said, there are many colleges that also require a written essay instead. Although the colleges above don’t require SAT, and ACT testing, it is still optional and you may take it which is preferably up to you. Many field of study colleges, and a few larger research universities, are adopting the position that test scores are only one limiting component of a student’s application and do not demonstrate the complete scope of one’s academic potential. Though some detractors remain, schools that do not require SAT or ACT scores have claimed the new policies have led to more diverse student populations by attracting low-income and minority students who are either ineffective to require the test, or students who are suffering from standardized testing anxiety but are strong students otherwise.

Whether test-optional or test-flexible, here are some additional schools that have de-emphasized the SAT and are ranked among a number of the highest schools within the country: 

• Bates College
  • Hofstra University
  • Middlebury College
  • American University
  • Gettysburg College 
  • University of Texas
  • Drexel University

What does “Test Optional” mean? 

A test-optional policy leaves the choice up to you on whether or not you would like to send SAT scores to a faculty. In other words, SAT-optional colleges don’t require you to send your scores. Instead, you need to decide whether or not your test results are an accurate representation of your academic ability and potential. Just as with the remainder of your application, you’ll be purposeful in crafting your candidacy to a test-optional college. This leaves you with more choice and control over how you’ll present your strengths to admissions officers.

What does “Test Flexible” mean ? 

A test-flexible policy requires you to send test scores, it would leave different options instead of the SAT. For instance, some schools might waive their test requirements if you meet a minimum GPA or are applying to a selected program, while others might allow you to send AP scores or IB scores instead of SAT scores.

To be eligible for admission, you must submit one of the following:

• Three SAT Subject Test scores
  • Three AP exam scores
  • International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma
  • Three IB higher-level exam scores if not an IB Diploma candidate
  • Certain international qualifications that show you completed your secondary education.”