Schedule Season: 2022 Edition

Amelie Salum Rapetti, Reporter

It’s that time of the year again: course selection. Graduation may seem like a far away prospect for some, however, it is important to keep the requirements in mind when choosing courses. 

24 Credits REQUIRED

While West Boca offers HOPE and some students choose to take the class on campus, there is also an online option. Choosing to take HOPE through FLVS also fulfills the “one online class” requirement, and it allows students to take more rigorous classes on campus. Moreover, if a student participates in a varsity or junior varsity sport, they can meet their P.E. requirement by filling out a form (found at the guidance office). 

AICE Diploma

West Boca offers a variety of AICE, AP, and Honors courses. Students are given the opportunity to pursue the AICE diploma by completing a specific combination of AICE courses; this diploma, along with the required community service hours, get seniors the Bright Future scholarship. 

AP Classes: Add college-level rigor to your schedule!

The other college-level course path is Advanced Placement. Choosing an AP course means that you will be in a college-level class that culminates in an end of the year exam. This exam gives you a score of 1-5, depending on the college, a score of 4 or 5 will give students college credit in that subject. Moreover, West Boca offers the Capstone Diploma which consists of AP Seminar and AP Research. This two-year diploma is a great choice for students looking to develop academic writing, research, and argument skills. Furthermore, Collegeboard grands awards to students that achieve a certain number of high scores on AP exams.

Academies: Pursue your passion…

If a specific area of study interests students, they have the opportunity to explore it further through one of West Boca’s several academies. The academies are: Computer Science, Culinary Arts, Drafting and Design, Medical Science, Performing Arts, and in 2023-2024 Aviation. Being a student of each academy comes with specific course requirements in order to remain in the program. 

On a completely unbiased note, the Newspaper class is looking for new recruits; those interested should reach out to Ms.Rosenblum. Being a part of the Bullseye is a great addition to college resumes and demonstrates school engagement; moreover, the second year a student participates in Newspaper the class is considered HONORS.