Grease is the Word!

Madison Ginsberg, Roaming Reporter

West Boca High School’s Performing Arts department is excited to announce that we had an overwhelmingly successful weekend opening Grease the Musical. We had a huge crowd of over 500 people opening night, following with over a thousand others on Saturday and Sunday combined! 

Grease has been such an exciting journey for all of the cast and crew members. Students were challenged with living up to the expectations of such a highly recognized show. For many, West Boca’s production of Grease the Musical took them by surprise as it replicates certain aspects of the movie as well as incorporates a variety of differentiation. Much like the movie, Grease the musical has famous songs such as ‘Hopelessly Devoted’, sung by Sandy Dumbrowski, as well as ‘Greased Lighting’ sung by the Burger Palace Boys. BPB may not sound familiar as that is one of the major differences between the show and the movie. In Grease the movie, the gang of boys repping leather jackets are known as the T-Birds, whilst in the Musical they are known as the Burger Palace Boys. To the audience’s relief and clear recollection, the Pink Ladies in the movie are also known as the Pink Ladies in the musical.

Leading our spring musical, sophomore, Lucas Brown plays Danny Zuko, the BPB “It Boy”, whilst, senior, Lindsey Davidson, portrays Sandy Dumbrowski, the sweet new girl trying to find a way to fit in at Rydell High School. After speaking with Lindsey, she exclaimed that, “it was a little nerve racking taking on this role because so many people have really high expectations for it, but I couldn’t have been more excited to embrace the challenge. With performing this role comes a very big time commitment and throughout the rehearsal process I have gained valuable time management skills that I am now able to take with me into college.” Comparatively, Lucas Brown still has a few years left as he goes on to share what he has learned throughout this rehearsal process.  He states that it has taught him to “take advantage of the time you have in these experiences and that it really is important to take care of yourself throughout the process whether that is physically or mentally. This is such a fun role for me. I absolutely love it, we made it through the first weekend of shows and I’m so excited for our next weekend coming up.”

Audiences are taken through a journey of the exemplified, radiant high school experience. These students have worked incredibly hard, with weeks in the rehearsal process focusing on all aspects of the theatrical affair. Mr. Blank, the head of the department and director of Grease, has worked diligently day in and day out to provide the best possible professional opportunities for his cast and crew. Students also worked with Mrs. Angela, the dance choreographer and Mrs. Fantel, vocal director as well as a professional band, and have learned so much about what it takes to put on a successful production. 

Jumping into weekend two, the students cannot wait to get themselves back on stage to finish this memorable experience with a kick. Seniors are so sad to say goodbye to this chapter in their lives, whilst underclassmen are overwhelmed with excitement for years to come!

Make sure to come see Grease this weekend on Thursday, March 10th at 7 pm, Friday, March 11th at 7:30 pm, Saturday, March 12th at 2 pm or 7:30 pm for our final performance! Student tickets are only $5 and can be found on https://wb.booktix.com and are sold at the door. Go Bulls!!!!!