The Best Team by Par

Jeffrey+Bonina+%28left%29+and+Dave+Lowenstein+%28right%29+

Jeffrey Bonina (left) and Dave Lowenstein (right)

Rebecca Kittay, Reporter

The start of the 2022 West Boca Girls’ Varsity golf season is coming soon.  Let’s introduce our coaches: Jeffrey Bonina (head coach of Varsity Girls Golf, and Junior Varsity Boys Basketball), and Dave Lowenstein (assistant golf coach).

This is their first year as the Girls’ Golf team coaches.  They have been organized and have done an amazing job so far. 

Here is a Q & A:

Question: Who are the captains of the WBHS Golf team?     

Answer: Madison Lowenstein and Rebecca Kittay are Co-Captains of the 2022 Girls’ Varsity Golf Team

Question: Coaches’ message to their team: 

Answer: Work hard, improve your game, and have a fun experience.

Question: What are you most looking forward to this season?

Answer: Watching each player improve and support each teammate to have a positive experience!

Question: What are your goals for the season? 

Answer: For each player to improve not just for themselves individually, but for our team to compete and win. The icing on the cake would be for the team to win Districts this season.

Captains Madison and Rebecca both started playing at the same age, 6 years old. They also both play outside of school in junior individual tournaments. The Bullseye interviewed the new captains: 

Madison Lowenstein decided to join this year as she has been playing competitive golf for many years and this is a good extra practice.  She is looking forward to meeting her new teammates, working together, and getting into the state championships.  Justin Thomas is a Golfer that inspires her most.  She likes his work ethnic and his mental part of the game.  In addition, Rebecca decided to join the team her freshman year.  She was excited to meet new people and enjoy the sport she loves.  This year, she is looking forward to meeting her team and spreading her joy of golf to the new players.  

Rebecca Kittay decided to join the team her freshman year.  She was excited to meet new people and enjoy the sport she loves.  This year, she is looking forward meeting her team, and spreading her joy of golf to the new players Rebecca is looking forward to seeing where this season brings them.  She wants everyone to do their best and enjoy the fun and sometimes frustrating sport.  Rory McIlroy inspires Rebecca in so many ways. Not only is he a fantastic professional golfer, but he shows the sportsmanship and the wonderful parts of golf.  This is one of her favorite quotes, “It is never easy to win but it is a lot easier to win when you play well. The key is winning golf tournaments when you are not playing so well. Managing your game is something that I feel that I am still learning to do.” (Rory McIlroy). This game is not only just about hitting a ball and getting the lowest score, it’s so much more.  It’s a mental game, which for many people can be a challenge and it’s a game that is individually played, so it’s really just a game against yourself.  

Here are the 2022 Varsity Girl Golfers:

Anissa Mills, a freshman, said that her journey to playing golf was not initially her choice, it was her parents. Over time she started to enjoy the sport and the challenge it presented.  Anissa joined the team because she wanted to be a part of a community of female golfers. She thought it would be a great opportunity to improve her skill level. Since golf can be such a solitary activity she really wanted to develop friendships that only came with being on a team. Golfer Francis DeSales Ouimet is someone that inspires her.  She found out about him through the movie Greatest Game Ever Played. This movie showed how an underdog came on top. He faced so many challenges and adversities in golf. 

Marley Asbury, a Junior, is one of our new players.  She joined the team because she enjoys playing golf and she wants to get better.  She is looking forward to having a great time and making new friends. Lexi Thompson is a golfer that Marley looks up to.  She is an amazing golfer who started at a very young age. Like Marley, Lexi never gave up to be as amazing as she can.  

Riley Person, a senior, started playing golf with her dad during Covid. Riley found enjoyment in the game and wanted to join the school team. She feels it will allow her to better her game.  She is looking forward to having the opportunity to learn more about the game. She also wants to observe her teammates’ swings and learn from them.   Riley is inspired by Tiger Woods because he has a great swing and she wants to learn from. 

Isabella McGovern, a senior, joined the team because she wanted to explore other sports she has never tried.  She was looking for a challenge and is looking forward to making new friends this season. 

Mara Ziffer, a Junior just joined the golf team.  Mara’s father inspired her to join the golf team. He has golfed for her entire life and it has always been intriguing. When she found out West Boca has a golf team she jumped at the opportunity to join.  The thing that Mara is most looking forward to this season is meeting new people and making more friends. Everyone already seems so kind. The golfer that inspires her is Patty Berg. She persevered in a time when women were not considered equal and paved the way for female golfers today.

Emily Goldstein, a junior, wanted to join the golf team because some of my family and friends play and she wanted to try something new. This season Emily is looking forward to learning the sport, becoming better at it, and getting to know her teammates.

All of the Lady Bull Golfers have joined a community of those who share a common interest.