New Teacher Spotlight: Mrs. Hutchings

Dylan Gaynor, Reporter

For the first time ever, West Boca High School is excited to welcome a new aviation teacher, Mrs. Hutchings! If you would like to read more about West Boca’s new aviation class, click here – Ground School takes flight at West Boca

Where are you from?

I grew up in South Florida

Where did you go to school?
I went to JP Taravella High School in Coral Springs, I went to Florida Tech in Melbourne, and I received my bachelor’s degree in Aviation Management.

Before you were a teacher, what did you do for work?

I worked in several different roles. I’ve been a marketing organizational development consultant for Lansing Community College in Michigan to market their aviation program. I also worked with airlines in South Florida on their safety management systems.

Why did you become a teacher?

I love being a part of the community, I love giving back, I love serving my community, and teaching is the best way to do it.

What is your experience in Aviation?
I have my private pilot license, a ground instructor certification, and I am working on my Instrument rating to further my experience.

What Inspired you into pursuing Aviation?

Watching the space shuttle launches from my backyard was really inspiring. I am also a natural risk taker and I wanted to see the world from a different perspective. Once I started flying, it was like a lightning strike, I found my passion.

What are students going to gain from our aviation program?
This is a unique opportunity for students to become a commercial pilot, which of course will put them ahead in the job market. More importantly, students will gain the passion of aviation that I and so many others have.

What are you most excited about teaching in the academy?
This is a really innovative program that we’re starting here at West Boca, and I’m just so excited. I have never been able to mesh my love for aviation and teaching together and this opportunity allows me to do so, which is the cherry on top.