Say Hello to HOSA!

Carldenis Raymond, Reporter

Attention all medical students! HOSA is back at it again this year with the goal to give even more back to the community. HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America) is a national organization for students in health care academies recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Department of Health and Human Services. It focuses on helping students become leaders in the healthcare industry by giving them education, experience, and collaboration opportunities. 

In Ms. Stiepleman’s words: “HOSA provides a unique program of leadership development, motivation, and recognition exclusively for secondary, postsecondary, middle school, adult, and collegiate students enrolled in health science education and biomedical science programs or have interests in pursuing careers in health professions.”

Who Can Join?

Though all medical students are automatically in HOSA, it is always better to be an active member who attends and participates in most, if not all, of the club’s meetings, events, and competitions. They will also discuss all the upcoming events and competitions to come. These events and competitions are what will help members acquire knowledge and a sense of community.

What Will HOSA Do?

This year, HOSA plans to have an increased focus on community service. This would follow a one-event-per-month plan rather than a larger amount of small activities. Ms. Stiepleman also intends to start forming their competition team during October. West Boca’s HOSA team is renowned throughout Florida as national winners in teamwork events.

What Has HOSA Done?

During Covid, they were not able to participate in many services and walks. However, they still accomplished many achievements last year. They were able to participate in a state competition in Orlando where one of the seniors qualified for Nationals in Nashville, Tennessee, and placed in the top 10.

Is HOSA Good On College Applications?

For members that are active in the club, HOSA is great for college applications. There is also a program called Bridge to Medicine in which HOSA members partner with the FAU School of Medicine. This club would be great not only for the specific FAU program but for all colleges with a medical program. It also serves a double service with the applied service hours. 

Who’s The Advisor?

Since 2008, Ms. Stiepleman has been the advisor for HOSA. She wishes to help students become dedicated workers who are people-oriented and capable leaders in the healthcare industry. She and all of the instructors at West Boca High School want the HOSA members to learn important skills so that they can give back to the community now and in the future, whether it be in a medical program or whatever field they choose to pursue later in life. 

Ms. Stiepleman believes that “HOSA and the Medical Academy at WBHS is a great way to recognize the importance of providing students with training far beyond the basic technical skills needed for entry into the healthcare field.”

We’re all looking forward to seeing what HOSA will accomplish this year as well as their new perspective on community service. Remember, all medical students are automatically enrolled in HOSA and it is up to you to participate.