Club Spotlight: National English Honor Society

Julia Palhares, Reporter

An Honor Society is an organization where students have the opportunity to work alongside peers to promote community service, leadership skills, and altruism. There are five Honor Societies at West Boca, but today we’re going to focus on the National English Honor Society (NEHS). 

The NEHS is for students who excel in English studies and are interested in promoting literature. To be a part of such a well-reputed club, students must go through an application process, which requires a recommendation from two English teachers, a sample essay about a chosen topic, a GPA of 3.5, and the approval of our sponsors: Mrs. Israel and Mrs. Donovan. 

In the 2022-2023 chapter, West Boca High School NEHS’s focus is on making literature engaging and interesting. The club’s main goal this year is to build a “little library,” which is a mini public library where anyone can borrow a book and donate one – it will be located outside of school grounds. This project will bring attention to literary pieces and also promote selflessness and empathy; if you get a book, you donate one, and everyone can keep this cycle going. 

In order to receive a graduation cord, students must complete five hours of community service that relates to and promotes literature every semester. The club offers such opportunities through book donations, card-making projects, and hospitality nights. 

Make sure to check out NEHS’s Instagram page at @nehs_wbhs to get first-hand information about club meetings and volunteer opportunities.