What is your favorite spring sport?

View Results

West Boca Baseball Wins Third Straight District Championship
West Boca’s Track Team Destroys at Districts

May 1, 2024

West Boca Boys and Girls Tennis Captures District Championship

The CLT(ea)

Screenshot from the CLT website where you can find all the information on how to sign up for the test. (Brianna Jarzomkowske)

Another exam besides the SAT and ACT has been offered as a placement option for college this past August. This exam is called the CLT, the Classic Learning Test. The CLT tests your knowledge of grammar, writing (not offered to remote test takers), verbal reasoning, and math. The test is scored out of 120 points and is only 2 hours long compared to the SAT that is 4 hours! The payment for the test is $59, compared to the SAT that is $60. According to the CLT exam website they “consider students’ intellectual capacity and aptitude, making it a better fit for students from a variety of educational backgrounds” rather than seeing how much students have overloaded their time with studying. 

Currently, the CLT is offered remotely and in person. This is a huge game changer because you can now be in the comfort of your own home while taking an important test. For the remote option, there are requirements of the space that you complete the test in. The CLT requires you to complete the test in a well-lit silent room, no people are allowed to enter the room, stable internet connection, and a functioning camera and microphone. Another popular question is “How does the CLT prevent cheating?” During the test your screen, webcam, and keystrokes are being recorded and will be reviewed after the test. 

There are 2 remotely proctored and 1 at school proctored exam taking place before the end of 2023. Even after 2023 there are many remotely proctored exam dates listed for 2024. The CLT exam can also be sent to an unlimited number of colleges and a good number of Florida colleges accept this for test scores (https://www.cltexam.com/colleges/ ). Sending scores are free too!

Personally, I plan on taking the CLT in addition to the SAT in November of 2023. A friend/reporter of The Bullseye, Talia, has experienced how the CLT really is.

“I took the CLT last Wednesday and overall it went pretty well. I really liked the fact that I could choose to take it at whatever time I wanted. I also like how I could take it at home, opposed to waking up early and going to a testing location. It was super easy to login and navigate. It was also only 2 hours long. The test setup was pretty similar to the SAT. Personally, I would prefer the CLT over the SAT.”

Having the CLT as possibly a better option for a placement test is very beneficial to high school students. I’m really curious to experience the test myself and how it will affect college acceptances. 

For More Information:

https://www.cltexam.com/faqs/

https://www.cltexam.com/tests/remote-proctoring/#:~:text=Photo%20ID%20required.&text=Testing%20computer%20must%20have%20a%20functional%20camera%20and%20microphone