What is your favorite spring sport?

View Results

West Boca Boys and Girls Tennis Captures District Championship

West Boca Football Releases 2024 Schedule

March 8, 2024

Opening Night Blowout: West Boca Beats Palm Beach Gardens 19-2

February 21, 2024

The Key to Midterms: Tips and Tricks

Dylan Gaynor
A West Boca student studying hard for midterms!

Midterm week is fast approaching, and getting ahead of studying can mean the difference between a fun-filled holiday season or angry parents complaining about a suffering GPA. 

Studying for a midterm exam is no different from a normal test or quiz throughout the year, but the stakes are higher, and there is more material to study. Understanding this, while also establishing a study schedule that allows you to prepare for all of your classes, is the recipe to getting the grade you want for the semester.

Creating a study schedule is easy but requires some self-reflection to maximize efficiency. Start by sorting your classes by grade split (pictured below) and identify your most important exams. Then, rank each class by difficulty or grade to decide which classes need the most attention. This should give you a rough idea of which classes you will spend the bulk of your time preparing for, and which you can safely put aside.

The midterm grade scale for the year. (Dylan Gaynor)

The study methods you should use are similar to any other test, but prioritize information that was taught at the beginning of the year over anything more recent. If you keep an organized set of notes or flashcards over the two quarters, this process is even simpler. For those who have yet to create a good note-taking system for themselves, rely on a textbook, teacher-provided resources, or a midterm study guide to guide yourself.

It’s easy to overstudy, so setting boundaries on the amount of time spent studying is equally important as the studying itself. For short-term review sessions, don’t go too in-depth with the content. Instead opt to briefly glance through large sections of the material. For long term study sessions, take a 15 minute break for every hour of review to keep yourself fresh. Too long of a break will kill your productivity, but no break at all can lead to burnout right before your exam.

Midterm week is difficult for all of us, but establishing good study habits and getting some sleep will ease the burden before the tests. No matter how you do on your exams, remember that grades don’t define your worth as a person and next semester is a new beginning. Good luck!