What is your favorite spring sport?

View Results

West Boca Boys and Girls Tennis Captures District Championship

West Boca Football Releases 2024 Schedule

March 8, 2024

Opening Night Blowout: West Boca Beats Palm Beach Gardens 19-2

February 21, 2024

Total Solar Eclipse this Monday!

Screenshot
Screenshot

This Monday, April 8th, 2024, there will be a total solar eclipse crossing over the United States Mexico and Canada. A total solar eclipse is when the moon passes in between the Earth and the sun completely blocking the view of the sun from a small part of Earth. This means it will get completely dark for a few minutes during the day. According to the Washington post, the temperature will drop, street lights might flicker, and plants and birds will start to act unusually. The last one of these total solar eclipses was in 2017 and after this year there won’t be another until 2044. 

Although Florida is not in the path for a total eclipse, we will still be able to see a partial eclipse. According to the Tallahassee Democrat, the total eclipse will begin in Texas at around 1:27 pm CT and end in Maine at around 3:35 pm ET. “The state of Florida should have a 45% to 75% chance of a ‘maximum partial eclipse’ according to Great American Eclipse online” We can expect to see some kind of crescent shape obstructing the sun. Fort Lauderdale can expect to see this at around 1:40 to 4:15. 

It’s crucial to be aware of the safety precautions when viewing a solar eclipse. Looking at the sun without proper eye protection can cause permanent eye damage. To safely watch the eclipse use special eclipse glasses or handheld solar viewers. Both of these will allow for a safe viewing of the phenomenon. Telescopes and or binoculars can also be used to safely view the sun.