What is your favorite spring sport?

View Results

West Boca Boys and Girls Tennis Captures District Championship

West Boca Football Releases 2024 Schedule

March 8, 2024

Opening Night Blowout: West Boca Beats Palm Beach Gardens 19-2

February 21, 2024

Metal Detectors In Palm Beach County Schools

Safety is in full swing here in Palm Beach County, Florida. Schools around the county are now taking extreme precautions for the safety of their students. To ensure these students’ safety, metal detectors are beginning to be implemented in schools all across Palm Beach County. 

Preceding the introduction of the metal detectors, students were provided with an instructional video on how exactly to tackle them on a daily basis. They were given a step-by-step procedure on how to get through these metal detectors quickly and efficiently. Schools have begun scanning ID badges, as well as requiring students to take out laptops and three-ring binders to avoid being held up by the metal detectors. 

Here at West Boca High School, a trial run was underway on Friday, April 5th. For the most part, things ran very smoothly thanks to the help of faculty and staff, as well as the cooperation of students. The lines to enter school were quite lengthy, but administrators and students worked together to make the process as efficient as possible. Students followed instructions, carrying laptops and cellular devices over their heads as they passed through the detectors. Police were also on active duty during the whole process, ensuring an extra layer of security for our school.

The installation of metal detectors in schools is a part of a broader strategy to prevent violence, particularly in response to concerns about school shootings and other violent incidents. The presence of metal detectors can serve as a deterrent, discouraging individuals from attempting to bring weapons or even harmful substances onto school premises. Additionally, the use of metal detectors can provide reassurance to students, parents, and staff members that steps are being taken to ensure a safe environment in our schools. 

Despite the many positives, the implementation of metal detectors in schools also raises a few concerns about practicality, effectiveness, and potential drawbacks. Some people may argue that the metal detectors may contribute to a sense of mistrust within schools. Also, there are a few challenges to consider: such as the removal and replacement of the equipment by administration each morning, as well as avoidance of delays to school start times.

As we move forward in time, exercising this practice of the metal detectors will be improved, and soon perfected. This is just the first step in ensuring complete safety within our schools.

1
View Comments (1)
$50
$500