The Student News Site of West Boca Raton High School

The West Boca Bullseye

The Bullseye
  • Welcome to West Boca High School's official newspaper, The Bullseye! Follow us on Instagram and Facebook @wbhsbullseye

The West Boca Bullseye

The West Boca Bullseye

Polls

What is your favorite spring sport?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Florida Panthers, The Atlantic Division Champions
West Boca Boys and Girls Tennis Captures District Championship

April 17, 2024

West Boca Football Releases 2024 Schedule

March 8, 2024

Opening Night Blowout: West Boca Beats Palm Beach Gardens 19-2

February 21, 2024

View All

Happy Holidays From The Bullseye

Rebecca Kittay
West Boca’s Culinary principal lunch-in roast pork.

The definition of “tradition” is a belief or behavior passed down within a group or society with symbolic meaning or special significance with origins in the past.” So having holiday traditions creates the ability to build a strong bond between family, friends and the community.  Having traditions provide a sense of expression as well as a sense of belonging.  In addition, the association that we have to traditions connects us to history and celebrates traditions through generations.

West Boca’s Culinary teacher, Chef Angnardo stated that he loves the holidays because you have a sense of tradition and have recipes that are passed down from generation to generation. Specifically, Chef A said that his traditions include having roast prime rib, Alaskan king crab legs from Costco (the size that are bigger than your arm).  Every year as a family they go to Costco and pick up the biggest crab legs that they can find. This is special because this tradition holds so many memories from when his daughter was younger and helps have a positive effect on their holidays.  

Our reporters on The Bullseye shared some of their traditional holiday recipes:

Potato Latkes: (Traditional during hanukkah)

INGREDIENTS Yield:

About 3 dozen

2 large Russet potatoes (about 1 pound), scrubbed and cut lengthwise into quarters

1 large onion (8 ounces), peeled and cut into quarters

2 large eggs

½cup all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt (or 1 teaspoon fine sea salt), plus more for sprinkling

1 teaspoon baking powder

½teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Safflower or other oil, for frying

Preparation:

Step 1

Using a food processor with a coarse grating disc, grate the potatoes and onion. Transfer the mixture to a clean dish towel and squeeze and wring out as much of the liquid as possible.

Step 2

Working quickly, transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add the eggs, flour, salt, baking powder and pepper, and mix until the flour is absorbed.

Step 3

In a medium heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat, pour in about ¼ inch of the oil. Once the oil is hot (a drop of batter placed in the pan should sizzle), use a heaping tablespoon to drop the batter into the hot pan, cooking in batches. Use a spatula to flatten and shape the drops into discs. When the edges of the latkes are brown and crispy, about 5 minutes, flip. Cook until the second side is deeply browned, about another 5 minutes. Transfer the latkes to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and sprinkle with salt while still warm. Repeat with the remaining batter.

Recipe for Pork Tamales

Ingredients:

• Pork Filing (boneless pork shoulder and salt)
    • Red chili sauce (Dried Guajillo chiles, dried ancho chiles, ground cumin, garlic powder, and salt)
    • Masa (Masa harina, canola oil, chicken broth, baking powder, and salt).
    • Corn husks

Instructions:

Step 1: Soak corn husks in hot water for an hour until softened and foldable

Step 2: Make red chile sauce by soaking chiles in hot water to soften and blend with seasonings. 

Step 3: Cook the pork, remove all the excess fat from the pork and cut it into small pieces. Once pork is browned add red chile sauce, and simmer till meat is tender. 

Step 4:Make the Masa by mixing the Masa harina and seasonings with oil, by working it in with your hands. 

Step 5:Dry the corn husks by taking them out of the water and patting them dry with a paper towel and apply a thin layer (but not too thin) of masa to the corn husks while holding it in your hand. 

Step 6: Spread your filing on top of your masa layer throughout the middle, be careful not to add too much filling. 

Step 7: Fold your corn husk in half like a book and then fold in the pointy half in so that one side is left open and if you want tie a bow around it with a leftover string of corn husk if you want to keep it secure. 

Step 8: Cook your tamales, In your steamer pot (where the steamer insert sits above water), fill the button of the pot with water, and on top of the strainer/insert place your tamales open side up, cover tightly and place over medium-high heat. Finally,  Cook for 3 ½ hours until masa is fully cooked. 

Zeppole (italian pastry)

Ingredients:

• 8 ounces fresh ricotta, drained
  • 1 ¼ cup superfine sugar
  • 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
  • Finely grated rind of half an orange
  • ¾ cu all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • Oil for frying

How to Make:

1. Combine the ricotta, ¼ cup of sugar, egg, orange rind, flour, and baking powder until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. 
  2. Mix the remaining 1 cup of sugar and ground cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside. 
  3. Pour enough oil into a medium saucepan to reach halfway up the sides and heat to 325F. 
  4. Drop tablespoons-sized balls of the ricotta mixture into the oven in small batches. Fry until golden, turning often. Keep an eye on the oil- if it gets too hot, the zeppole will burn on the outside before they are cooked inside, The zeppole should fry gently, not aggressively, so adjust the heat as necessary. 
  5. Once cooked, drain on paper towels briefly, then add the cinnamon bowl. Toss to coat. Serve hot. 
  6. Enjoy!

Ingredients

• 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • ½ cup powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup very finely chopped pecans
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ⅓ cup powdered sugar, or more as needed

Directions

• 1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  • 2) Beat butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer in a large bowl until smooth. Gradually mix in flour, pecans, and salt until completely incorporated. Roll dough into walnut-sized balls and place 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
  • 3) Bake in the preheated oven until bottoms are light golden brown but tops are still pale, 12 to 15 minutes. (Try not to let cookies get too brown: it’s better to undercook them than to overcook them.)
  • 4) Remove cookies from the oven and let sit on the baking sheets briefly before removing to wire racks.
  • 5) Place 1/3 cup powdered sugar in a shallow bowl; roll hot cookies in sugar to coat, then return to the wire racks to cool. Once cooled, roll cookies in the powdered sugar once more.

Reporter Sofia Sierra said that her favorite cookies that her family makes around the holidays are Snowball Cookies! Even though they are simple chocolate chip cookies,  they taste out of this world! They are easy to make, and can be prepared in a short amount of time, and can be a perfect gift for any cookie lover. 

Cinnamon Rolls With Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients: 

Dough

• 4-5 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 box jiffy cake mix
  • 2 packages fast rising yeast
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1⁄2 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon

Frosting

• 1 (3 ounce) package softened cream cheese
  • 1⁄4 cup softened butter
  • 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners’ sugar
  • 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1⁄8 teaspoon salt

Directions: 

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine 3 cups flour, cake mix, yeast, salt, and warm water; mix until smooth. 
  2. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. 
  3. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth (6-8 minutes). 
  4. Roll dough into a 9 X 18-inch rectangle. 
  5. Spread with butter and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. 
  6. Roll dough jelly-roll style, starting with the long end. 
  7. Slice the roll into 1-inch circles with a piece of dental floss or heavy thread placed under the roll. 
  8. Bring ends of floss up and crisscross at top of roll and pull strings in opposite directions. 
  9. Place rolls on a greased cookie sheet. 
  10. Cover and let rise on a warm place until doubled, about 15 minutes. 
  11. Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes. 
  12. While rolls are baking, beat together cream cheese, butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla extract, and salt. 
  13. Spread frosting on warm rolls before serving. 

Cinnamon Milk Tea Recipe

• 1 cinnamon stick
  • 4 cups water
  • honey (to taste)
  • milk (to taste)

Instructions:

1. Boil water.
  2. Break the cinnamon stick into pieces and put in the boiling water.
  3. Remove pot from heat and cover.
  4. Let the cinnamon steep for 15 minutes.
  5. Strain the tea into mugs. Add the honey and milk to taste. Stir.

Little Debbie’s Christmas Tree Cake Dip

Ingredients

5 Chopped Little Debbie Christmas Tree cakes, 

8 oz of room temperature cream cheese, 

1 tsp of vanilla extract, 8 oz of thawed cool whip, 

⅓ cup of milk, 

christmas sprinkles

How to make:

Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl, 

use a hand held mixer to mix everything (the cream cheese and vanilla won’t be completely smooth), 

add sprinkles, serve cold, and enjoy!

What to serve with: Pretzels, Vanilla wafers, Animal crackers, Graham crackers, Cookies, and Fruit.

All in all, we should continue the traditions that share great memories and fun in which provide a safe place within your family and friends. Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!