Want To Get Famous?

Alexa Smith, Staff Writer

Debra Rosenblum

Tik Tok. It’s “mad litty” says Nick Charneco. The new app called ‘Tik Tok’ has taken over the internet. The huge trend broke out in the summer and it’s popularity has definitely increased. Tik Tok is a social media platform, commonly compared to the former apps Musical.ly and Vine which allows people to create and share comical, creative videos and possibly gain a following. People tend to get sucked in and addicted to this app, spending hours at a time watching these hilarious videos and not even realizing it. Ruth Desty in 12th grade says “I spent up to 19 hours on Tik Tok last week. I love that app.”

Recently, I interviewed West Boca’s own famous students, Nick Vieira (11th grade), and Brandon Aviles (10th grade). Brandon said “when I first got the app I thought that it was dumb, but once I started using it more and posting, now it’s just an addiction”. He now has 16.8k followers and doesn’t have a main goal in mind but is just grateful he has any followers. Nick Vieira has 32.5k followers and his goal is to keep gaining followers and views. He says that seeing other peoples’ content inspired him to start making videos himself. Vitor Sheffler in 12th grade says that “Tik Tok is interesting because it shows the emotions of teens and a lot of them are school related.” Most teens love the app because it helps them express themselves and relate to others their age. Tik Tok has become imbedded within today’s humor and references and continues to influence and inspire the youth.