The Race for Volunteer Hours

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Race for Volunteer Hours

Lia Eilon, Staff Writer

It is seemingly impossible for students to collect 100 volunteer hours each year as spots fill up faster and faster. It’s a race for volunteer hours, and those left in the dust search for scraps. Students rush to sign up for a volunteer position at non-profit organizations before school even starts—after that, it’s often too late.  

Students are required to volunteer at non-profit organizations. With this rule in place, it leaves the students with only a few places to choose from, and many organizations only accept a certain number of students to volunteer for them per year or per day.  

Our school has many clubs and organizations that offer volunteer opportunities such as:

• HOSA – Help kids sign up for walks-a-thons and marathons to help support and raise money for important causes. (medical students only)
  • Recycle Club – Collecting recyclables on campus to reduce our carbon footprint on Earth. 
  • Spirit Club – Increasing spirit on campus through various activities and sports throughout the school year. 
  • Key Club – A student-led, international organization that is dedicated to serving our community and organizes and participates in various projects.
  • Compete 2 Give – A fantastic organization that is committed to helping the community.
  • Kindness Matters – Spreading kindness to the community by doing good deeds and running drives.
  • Math Geniuses – High School students volunteer to tutor elementary students at Coral Sunset. 
  • Pay it Forward – Kids earn community service hours by making sticky-notes for the lockers at the beginning of the year with cheerful and welcoming messages.
  • Best Buddies: Pairing up kids and making friendships between kids and those with special needs.
  • Save The Oceans – Informs students on ways to save the ocean and provides community service opportunities to save the ocean.

Non-profit organizations that offer volunteering opportunities for students include:

• West Boca Medical Center
  • Justin Barlett Animal Rescue 
  • Animal Rescue Shelters.
  • Food Pantries
  • Habitat for Humanity
  • Local Libraries
  • Helping Hands
  • YMCA
  • Volunteer Match — a website to generate volunteer opportunities near you.
  • Spirit of Giving Network
  • Best Foot Forward
  • Tomorrow’s Rainbow
  • Special Olympics
  • Palm Beach County Food Bank
  • Tri-County Animal Rescue