Benefits of a Gap Year

Maya Zohar, Editor

The majority of students in the United States have had their educational lives planned out since they were twelve. Graduate high school, try to get into the best college they can, spend 4-8 more years in school to get a degree, and then look for a job that they can at least tolerate for the rest of their lives. Though it is great to have a plan for the future, it is essential to realize that doing what everyone else is doing may not be the right path for you, and there is nothing wrong with that. Many do not know what they want to do when they grow up nor what they want to study in college, but what may come as a shocker… there’s no rush. Due to the pressures and expectations on high schoolers, they have been made to believe that taking a gap year is detrimental to their educational careers, but that is not true. In fact, taking a gap year has multiple benefits. 

• Finding hobbies and weighing career options.

By taking a gap year, those who could not find what they loved doing during high school now have the opportunity to explore. With a whole year of freedom to think for themselves, they could volunteer or pick up hobbies they never had the time to truly invest in. This could be anything from kickboxing to cooking; as long as they are putting their minds into discovering more about themselves, there is no wrong answer. 

• Moment to relax  

After twelve years of hard work, late-night study sessions, and stress, it may be best to take a break and relax. Jumping from high school straight into college may cause students to feel burnt out and even unmotivated. Taking a gap year gives them a chance to focus on their mental and physical health, such as getting a total of eight hours of sleep every night, which high schoolers presume to be more a suggestion than a necessity. 

• Time for a job and saving up money 

If a person does not feel ready for college but does not want to waste their time at home, getting a job is the next best thing. The lessons received from working cannot be taught at school. It brings a whole new perspective of responsibility and a taste of the real world they will be thrown into sooner rather than later. Not to mention, having a job and saving up the money earned could come in handy in the long run. 

• Travel and expand cultural knowledge

If the opportunity presents itself and a person has all the means necessary, traveling during a gap year is definitely recommended. Once enrolled in a college or university, there won’t be as many opportunities to travel and feel genuinely unburdened and free. Exploring different places and learning about other cultures gives an unbelievable amount of knowledge and understanding that will remain for a lifetime. 

• Learn how to be independent 

One of the most crucial advantages of taking a gap year is the opportunity for self-growth and reliance. Students may not have had many opportunities to think for themselves between the school system, their parents’ expectations, and after-school activities. This year of peace and quiet could be exactly what they need to discover what they want to do rather than what everyone else expects them to. Once they are ready and have a clear understanding of their passion and career options, they have more of a chance to pursue a happy and fulfilling life.