West Boca Jazz Band Swings Up a Storm at State Competition

Jonah Lynne

The jazz band celebrating their superior performance on the steps of the American Heritage auditorium.

Jonah Lynne, Co-Editor

Plantation, FL, March 22 – The West Boca Raton High School Jazz Band, led by director Larry Shane, took home Superior ratings with straight A scores at the Florida Bandmasters Association (FBA) State competition, the highest possible score. They were one of about twelve bands to perform at the event.

In order to qualify for the state competition, the band performed at the district level event in February, where they also received Superior ratings.This is the first time since 2018 that the jazz band has attended the state level event.

Judges from throughout the state attended the event to give feedback on the performances. These judges are accredited with the FBA and currently teach at universities in Florida, including the University of North Florida, the University of Central Florida, Florida State University, Nova Southeastern University, and others.

In addition to the jazz band, 8 solo and ensemble performances from West Boca received Superiors at the State Solo & Ensemble Festival, which occurred at the same time as the jazz competition.

A snapshot of the Jazz Band’s performance at the South Florida Fair in January.

Made up of nearly 30 members, the jazz band performs throughout the state, including at the South Florida Fair back in January. West Boca will be hosting the University of North Texas One O’Clock Jazz Band, one of the top groups in the country, on campus April 6. They have upcoming performances at jazz festivals in Hialeah on April 7 and in Port Orange on April 23. Their spring concert will be held at Mizner Park on May 10. Come see your award-winning jazz band!