The Start of a New Era – Potts Brings the Passion: West Boca Defeats Leonard 34-0

Isaac Edelman

West Boca is pumped up after their first win of the season.

Isaac Edelman, Reporter

It is very hard to turn around a football program in a short amount of time, especially at the high school level. However, no task is too big for West Boca High School and new head coach Dylan Potts.

Led by freshman quarterback Mason Mallory and his cousin Javian Mallory, the West Boca Bulls shutout the Leonard Lancers 34-0 in their first game of the season.

After coming off a 1-9 season last year, it was such a great sight to see for the home crowd at West Boca. The Bulls dominated on both sides of the ball, to say the least.

On their first drive of the game, the Bulls moved the ball down the field with first down after first down. At about the two-yard line, freshman running back Javian Mallory put his head down and ran in for the touchdown, giving West Boca a 7-0 lead.

The scoring did not stop there. Mason Mallory threw a 40 yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Tyler Cordero to give the Bulls a 14-0 led with two minutes remaining in the first quarter.

The Bulls went on to score 20 more points, including a receiving touchdown by Javian Mallory and a fumble recovery in the endzone for the touchdown.

Mason Mallory finished the game 3-of-8 with 63 yards and two touchdowns.

On the ground, West Boca had 286 rushing yards and three touchdowns. Javian Mallory had 19 rushes for 115 yards and two touchdowns, Tyler Cordero had eight carries for 97 yards, and Elijah Gonzales had six carries for 36 yards and a touchdown.

West Boca’s kicker, Kanya Christie-Thomas, also played well as he was perfect on extra point attempts (4-of-4).

On the defensive side of things, the Bulls held the Leonard Lancers to zero points. Jesse Richardson locked down any opposing wide receiver he faced, racking up an interception and a fumble recovery in the game. Aaron Ford also had an interception in the game. Meanwhile, Cruz Baeza led the Bulls with eight tackles and a forced fumble. Dom Barone also had a terrific game with six tackles.

The Bulls will play Lake Worth next Friday at home. Can West Boca start off with a 2-0 record? We will find out next week!