West Boca Dominated on Senior Night, Defeating Northeast 35-0 Behind Maddox Haase and Zacharius Walls

Isaac Edelman, Reporter

The West Boca Bulls dominated on senior night, defeating the winless Northeast Hurricanes 35-0.

West Boca was clicking on all cylinders on both sides of the ball; from the defense holding Northeast to zero points to the offense moving the sticks each drive. The Bulls are now 5-3, and have a huge district game on the road against Blanche Ely next week.

Recap

The Bulls received the opening kickoff, and the offense got going right away.  At around the 20-yard line, QB Mason Mallory found WR Zacharius Walls wide-open in the corner of the endzone, placing a perfect ball for the first score of the game. That gave the Bulls a 7-0 lead.

The Bulls extended their lead to 14-0 when Maddox Haase, who started at RB for the first time this season, scored a nine-yard rushing touchdown. Haase, who is starting over the injured Javian Mallory, took a huge hit, causing his mouthguard to fly off. However, Haase remained on his feet and barely crossed the goal line for an impressive touchdown.

The other Bulls RB, Senior JoJo Cruz, made it 21-0 after a two-yard rushing touchdown. The Bulls were set up at the two-yard line after a long and terrific screen pass to Maddox Haase.

Speaking of Haase, he made it 28-0 after a speedy, 56-yard rushing touchdown down the sideline.

The offense did not stop scoring. And Mason Mallory did not stop connecting with Zacharius Walls.

Mallory threw another 20-yard touchdown pass to Walls in the corner of the endzone. Unlike the last touchdown, though, Walls was contested while making the catch. It was now 35-0, which was the final score.

Tyler Cordero (left) and Elijah Gonzales (right), both wide receivers for the Bulls. Image credit: Isaac Edelman

Mason finished the game with 300 yards on 23-of-33 passing, including two touchdowns and one interception. Mason’s lone interception was a ball that hit off the hands of WR Elijah Gonzales and into the cornerbacks hands.

Also, of note, Mason had a third touchdown pass that was called back due to a wrongful block in the back call. If it were not for the refs unreasonable penalty, it would have been the third touchdown of the day for both Mason and Zacharius Walls, who hurdled over a defender and into the endzone.

Junior Maddox Haase had a heck of a game for the Bulls, especially when considering the fact that it was his first game as RB. He finished with two rushing touchdowns and 85 yards on four carries. He also had two receptions for 47 yards.

Freshman Zacharius Walls, meanwhile, could not be stopped. He recorded five catches for 55 yards, which included two touchdowns (and a potential third touchdown if it were not for the refs wrongful call).

Senior Tyler Cordero played really well, too. Even though Cordero did not cross the goal line, he recorded eight catches for 102 yards. He also had a 15-yard punt return on his lone return.

The Bulls defense discussing with each other during a timeout. Photo credit: Isaac Edelman

Like the offense, the Bulls defense played elite football on Thursday night. The Bulls were all over the quarterback, with sacks by Carldenis Raymond, Andrew Garcon, and others.