Stay in School Kids

Vincent Vertullo, Reporter/Photographer

Attention Seniors! We have specific attendance rules during the school’s second semester that you must know.

According to the West Boca High School student handbook, on page 11 “Graduating seniors shall, at their option, be exempt from final exams given just prior to the graduation exercises, provided they have not received a failing grade for either nine week grading period of their final semester or have not accumulated 11 or more absences that semester.”

Seniors cannot miss 10 regular periods or 5 block classes in the second semester, or else said students must take the final for the class. The flaw with this method is that there are no excuses. If the person was sick, or was unable to attend school for those days they will have to take the exam. In the handbook there are no exceptions listed or reasons that would be excused. The 10 regular/ 5 block period rule applies for the whole semester, 18 weeks, which anything can happen during that might require an absence.  

Regardless, this is an amazing opportunity for all Seniors at West Boca and we strongly suggest you take advantage of it! In recent years, Seniors have gotten out of school in the first week of May, so we’re almost there!