Congrats To The Pathfinder Scholarship Nominees!

The Pathfinders scholarship is one of the most prestigious scholarships one can earn in Palm Beach County. According to the Pathfinders website, they are  “…one of the largest and most comprehensive high school scholarship programs in the state.” This prestigious scholarship only accepts 54 seniors in Palm Beach and Martin counties. We at West Boca are proud to announce that six of our students have been chosen as nominees as listed below:

• Kayla Nguyen (Music/Vocal)

• Ophelia Carter (Literature) 

• Jacey Schell (Music/Instrumental)

• Ashley Sorato (Forensics/Speech)

• Kiley Lechner (Reach For Excellence)

• Ivanna Diaz (World Language)

We had the pleasure to ask some of the candidates questions concerning how they found out about the scholarship, how they got nominated, what are the qualifications for the scholarship, and how they felt when they found out about the nomination. 

Pathfinders states that the only way to get the scholarship is through the school. To obtain this scholarship the student has to be declared as a nominee in a specific category by their school. And they must be a senior that will be graduating. Ivanna Diaz also informed us that there is an application packet that must be completed as well. “This packet includes a cover page, resume, letters of recommendation, & two short essays.”

Each category has different qualifications required to be able to apply for the scholarship. According to Ashley Sorato, the forensics/speech category “looks for students who have several accomplishments in forensic (debate) and/or speech competitions, overall academic achievement, demonstrated leadership, and contributions made in their community.”  And Ivanna Diaz, when applying for the world language category, had to include “a video showcasing [her] skills, overall academic achievements, and contributions made to [her] community.”

Overall, the nominees seem excited to be nominated for such a prestigious scholarship. Kayla Nguyen said that she “was so excited! Never did [she] expect to make it to the next round.” 

We wish to congratulate all of these students on their valiant academic efforts and success throughout high school. If you recognize anybody on this list please support them as they are representing all of West Boca at a County-wide level. We hope to see you on this list in the coming years!