Wake up, West Boca!

Talia Badalamente, Reporter

Sleep is one of the most important things your body needs to function properly. Getting enough sleep contributes to aiding the function of all body systems. Although sleep is important for all ages, it’s especially important to teens who are still developing. Sleep is important for teens’ mental development, physical, and emotional health. The amount of sleep also affects students’ school performance. Since teenagers’ brains are still developing, the correct amount of sleep can benefit the way your brain functions, while improving cognitive abilities. 

According to the University of Michigan, “Sleep is essential to every process in the body, affecting our physical and mental functioning the next day, our ability to fight disease and develop immunity, and our metabolism and chronic disease risk.” This shows how the amount of sleep you get impacts your physical health.

How much sleep is enough? The CDC says that teenagers aged from 13-18 should be getting 8-10 hours of sleep per 24 hours. This is far more hours than most teenagers are actually getting, this may be due to staying up late to finish homework or after-school activities/sports. Another issue affecting teens’ sleep is excessive screen time. It is important to keep track of and limit your screen time, especially right before bedtime. It is best to get off of your devices at least an hour before going to sleep.

Not enough sleep can really affect your mental health. Lack of sleep can lead to increased anxiety and depression. Sleep permits the brain to process emotional experiences, regulating your overall mood. In order to maintain emotional well-being and manage stress, good quality sleep is essential. 

According to the NIH (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke), Sleep affects almost every type of tissue and system in the body – from the brain, heart, and lungs to metabolism, immune function, mood, and disease resistance. This shows just how important sleep is to help your entire body function. 

In conclusion, sleep aids the function of every body system affecting physical and mental health, making it vital for our overall health and well-being. This shows why getting an adequate amount of sleep should be prioritized in teens who are still developing.

Amount of sleep that West Boca students get.