What is your favorite spring sport?

View Results

West Boca’s Track Team Destroys at Districts

West Boca Boys and Girls Tennis Captures District Championship

West Boca Football Releases 2024 Schedule

March 8, 2024

Football For Taylor Swift Fans

TNS
Donna Kelce, left, mother of Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce watched the game with pop superstar Taylor Swift, center, during the first-half on Sunday, Sept. 24, 2023, at GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City. (Tammy Ljungblad/Kansas City Star/Tribune News Service via Getty Images)

The NFL is in its Swiftie era.

During the Chiefs-Bears game on September 24th, the internet blew up as Taylor Swift was seen watching in a box with “Mama” Donna Kelce. This confirmed the month-long rumors that Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift were the newest “power couple” for fans to gossip over. So, for all of the new football fans who will be watching the Chiefs this year, here is what you need to know:

1. The Basics

If you only want to know how the sport you watch works, here is the breakdown. Two teams alternate Offense and Defense, and they switch sides throughout the game after the offense’s “possession” ends. That position can either end in points (a touchdown, which is 6 points, a field goal, which is 3 points) or a turnover (which can be an interception, fumble, turnover-on-downs, or punt).

A touchdown is scored when the offense gets the ball into the endzone at opposite field ends. The team can move the ball toward the endzone by either running or passing the ball (which is done by the quarterback) to score.

2. The Positions

On offense, here are the main players to be concerned with:

Quarterback: The leader of the offense

Star Quarterbacks: Patrick Mahomes (Pictured below), Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA – OCTOBER 08: Patrick Mahomes #15 of the Kansas City Chiefs calls a play at the line of scrimmage against the Minnesota Vikings in the second half at U.S. Bank Stadium on October 08, 2023 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Chiefs defeated the Vikings 27-20. (Photo by David Berding/Getty Images) (Getty Images)

Wide Receivers: The person responsible for catching the ball thrown by the Quarterback. 

Star Wide Receivers: Justin Jefferson, Ja’Marr Chase, Stefon Diggs

Running Back: The player, during run plays, that runs the ball to get as far as possible

Star Running Backs: Christian Mccaffrey, Saquon Barkley, Tony Pollard

Tight Ends: The “Swiss Army knife” of the offense, expected to catch passes and block as a part of the Offensive line (see below)

Star Tight Ends: Travis Kelce (Pictured below), Mark Andrews, Dallas Goedert

JACKSONVILLE, FL – SEPTEMBER 17: Tight End Travis Kelce #87 of the Kansas City Chiefs talks with the media after the game against the Jacksonville Jaguars at Ever Bank Stadium on September 17, 2023 in Jacksonville, Florida. The Chiefs defeated the Jaguars 17 to 9.(Photo by Don Juan Moore/Getty Images) (Getty Images)

Offensive line: Being made up of a Center, 2 Guards, and 2 Tackles, they are the protectors of the quarterback to prevent the defense from tackling him

Star Offensive Lineman: Jason Kelce (Center), Shaq Mason (Guard), Evan Neal (Tackle)

3. More information

For Swifties trying to go above and beyond in their football knowledge, here are a few sources that go in-depth about football culture as a whole:

https://www.espn.com/fantasy/football/story/_/id/34389554/fantasy-football-beginners-how-play-fantasy-football-2022

https://www.viqtorysports.com/defensive-coverages-in-football-complete-guide/#:~:text=Football%20Coverages&text=Man%20Coverage%20%E2%80%93%20When%20one%20defensive,certain%20area%20on%20the%20field.