What is your favorite spring sport?

View Results

West Boca Boys and Girls Tennis Captures District Championship

West Boca Football Releases 2024 Schedule

March 8, 2024

Opening Night Blowout: West Boca Beats Palm Beach Gardens 19-2

February 21, 2024

Earthquake Strikes In Morocco

How to Help!
Christopher Rose/Flickr
Woman strolls in bright and lively markets in Marrakech, Morocco

Six days ago, on September 8th, 2023, the city of Marrakech, Morocco was struck with a 6.8 magnitude earthquake. Since then, there have been over 2,900 deaths and over 5,500 injuries according to Morocco’s Interior Ministry. This is the first time a 6-magnitude earthquake has struck within the area. 

The earthquake hit 50 miles south of the city of Marrakech- at about 6:11 p.m. EDT. Families were reported to be sleeping when the earthquake struck. Tens of thousands are now left homeless. 

Directly following the earthquake, calls to volunteers were made. However, Morocco decided to not throw open its doors for help, but rather logistically coordinate small rescue groups. Teams like Rescue Without Borders were disheartened they could not help, but the Moroccan government stands by their decision to handle the disaster zone. The Interior Ministry finds that it “would be counterproductive” to bring in teams of volunteers from all over the world. Though they are accepting help from Spain, Qatar, the United Kingdom, and the United Arab Emirates. 

Still, there is outrage over the lack of help from the Moroccan government. There have been countless stories of survivors left stranded, waiting for medical aid that would never come. Morocco denied France the ability to send volunteers and help, but said they would be seeking help from other “friendly countries.”

But there are still countless volunteers, World Center Kitchen and the Food Bank of Morocco are looking for donations for water and food necessities. Islamic Relief and Doctors Without Borders are looking for donations for shelter and healthcare. UNICEF and The International Federation of the Red Cross are offering shelter, healthcare, and necessities to children and families.

They are still looking for donations as volunteers and citizens actively work to help survivors in Marrakech.