What is your favorite spring sport?

View Results

West Boca Boys and Girls Tennis Captures District Championship

West Boca Football Releases 2024 Schedule

March 8, 2024

Opening Night Blowout: West Boca Beats Palm Beach Gardens 19-2

February 21, 2024

Rules of the Road

Rebecca Kittay

Driving is a day to day need for many people. It helps us get to our destinations in a quick and easy manner within a short amount of time. With that,you must be safe and courteous to those around you as you drive,here are some tips to help you.

1. Buckle Up! Remember to always wear your seatbelt and make sure your passengers do so aswell. Worn properly, seat belts are designed to spread crash forces across the stronger bony parts of the body, including the shoulder, rib cage and pelvis. Seat belts also prevent people from being ejected from the vehicle due to any impact from a crash. 

2.  Know your road signs and signals!  Pay attention to traffic signs,road markings and speed signals. These signs are made for your safety and to maintain order on the road. Traffic signs also advise of traffic laws, hazards, location, directions, and many more. Look for stop signs,yeild signs,train tracks,turning lanes and many more. One important road sign is school zones, remember once you pass that school zone area you must be going 20 mph! During a school zone there are many kids crossing the street, in order to keep them safe,slow down! These signs reduce risk of accidents. 

3. Avoid distractions! Keep your eyes on the road,always maintain focus on your surroundings as you drive. Put your phone away,avoid eating,limit conversations. Distracted drivers are the ones that will most likely cause an accident. Be aware of your surroundings,look for

hazards,pedestrians,cyclists,debree and more. Remember anything can happen within a second,so it’s important to stay vigilant. 

4. Never drink and drive! After consuming alcohol, never get behind the wheel. Drinking impairs your judgement and your reaction time. Alcohol causes changes in the parts of the brain that control motor skills,making it extremely dangerous for you and others to be on the road. About 31%of all traffic crash fatalities in the United States involve drunk drivers. Instead of driving,call a family or friend to come drive you home or call an uber but never get behind the wheel even if you think it’s okay to drive. 

5.Stay calm and patient! Road rage impacts your driving skills and judgement. Being on the road you will come across rude drivers,but it’s important to stay rational in that situation. Anger can hijack your thinking causing drivers to make impulsive and hazardous decisions, this can lead to accidents and traffic violations. 

Saftey should always be the top priortiy when you’re on the road. Drive responsibly and take care of yourself and others. Realize that you are sharing the road with others,keeping yourself safe is keeping others safe. Drive safe out there!