The Student News Site of West Boca Raton High School

The West Boca Bullseye

The Bullseye
  • Welcome to West Boca High School's official newspaper, The Bullseye! Follow us on Instagram and Facebook @wbhsbullseye

The West Boca Bullseye

The West Boca Bullseye

Polls

What is your favorite spring sport?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Florida Panthers, The Atlantic Division Champions
West Boca Boys and Girls Tennis Captures District Championship

April 17, 2024

West Boca Football Releases 2024 Schedule

March 8, 2024

Opening Night Blowout: West Boca Beats Palm Beach Gardens 19-2

February 21, 2024

View All

Teens and Trends Go Together

Teenagers are at a stage in their lives where social acceptance is very important. They are in the process of forming their identity and tend to seek validation from their peers. Social media provides a platform for them to gain that validation through likes, comments, and followers, and views. When a trend gains traction, teens often jump on board to feel a sense of belonging and to avoid feeling left out.  

According to Catherine Wang, Staff Writer at the official Newspaper of the Boston Latin School, “Teenagers are especially susceptible to influencer culture and rapid trend cycles, as they are the most receptive to peer influence and pressure. This anxiety and need to belong fuels the never-ending cycle of trends seen on popular social platforms such as TikTok, Instagram, and Pinterest.” Some trends are just harmless fun, but some are disrespectful, dangerous, and even illegal. 

Last year the “devious lick” trend took over schools all over the U.S. This trend involved stealing random items from public places and even schools. Somebody even took it far enough to steal a sink from the school bathroom. Nothing good comes of this trend being that it just causes chaos. If there is no point in the trend, then why do teens do it? They do it for the likes and views. The feeling of validation and being a part of something, is worth it to these teens.

A few years ago, the tide pod challenge took over social media. This trend involved eating a laundry detergent package as a dare. Not only was this stupid, but it was extremely dangerous. Many teenagers needed hospitalization and some even died. This is a prime example of how some teens are willing to do whatever just for views/likes.

Social media has revolutionized the way that teenagers act and influence each other. The way that teens are so invested in this has completely changed their perspective on things.