The Student News Site of West Boca Raton High School

The West Boca Bullseye

The Bullseye
  • Welcome to West Boca High School's official newspaper, The Bullseye! Follow us on Instagram and Facebook @wbhsbullseye

The West Boca Bullseye

The West Boca Bullseye

Polls

What is your favorite spring sport?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Florida Panthers, The Atlantic Division Champions
West Boca Boys and Girls Tennis Captures District Championship

April 17, 2024

West Boca Football Releases 2024 Schedule

March 8, 2024

Opening Night Blowout: West Boca Beats Palm Beach Gardens 19-2

February 21, 2024

View All

West Boca Boys Weightlifting Set Up for Success

West Boca High School’s boys weightlifting team is ready to hit the weight room for the 2023-2024 season.

Led by head coach Evan Laufer, the Bulls return eight out of 25 weightlifters. “This team is very new to lifting,” Coach Laufer said. “But everyone is hungry to get better every day and you can’t coach that. That’s probably my favorite thing about this team because that is something each individual has to bring themself. As a coach that’s all I can ask for.”

Despite the challenge presented by being inexperienced, Laufer said his expectation is “for the team to go win the district championship with multiple individual district champions, a top three finish at Regionals as team, and 2-3 state qualifiers.”

The opposite of inexperienced, though, is experienced. That’s what senior Yiannis Michalakelis is. Michalakelis got first place in districts last year and finished sixth in the region.

Another star on the weightlifting team is sophomore Xavier Reid, who amassed 70 tackles and 11 sacks this year on the football field. Reid has offers from USF, Marshall, and Bethune Cookman. Now that football is over, Reid has his eyes set on the weightroom.

“My success on the football field translates to weightlifting because I’ve always been taught to win,” Reid said. He also added, “we’re looking to win regionals and place top five in states.”

A little bit about the Bulls weightlifting coach

Coach Laufer is a sports agent and is the president and CEO of Laufer Sports & Entertainment. Laufer, a UCF and Lynn University grad, has many clients, including Auburn basketball player Denver Jones, FSU football player Jarrett Jackson, UCF tennis player Jaleesa Leslie, and Florida Gators volleyball player A.C. Fitzpatrick, among others.

As a student at West Boca from 2008-2012, Laufer played football (cornerback), helping the Bulls win their first ever district championship in 2009. And of course, Laufer was on the weightlifting team. Matter of fact, he started the first ever weightlifting team at West Boca in 2012. Coming off knuckle surgery after the 2012 football season, Laufer placed second at districts and third at regionals.

After graduating college, Laufer came back to West Boca to coach both football and weightlifting. He was the head coach on junior varsity for the first season while also helping coach special teams on varsity. He was then promoted to the varsity coaching staff as the special teams, defensive backs, and the defensive coordinator the next season.

Because of his extensive connections in the sports world, Coach Laufer has already gotten his weightlifting team sponsorships, including shoes from TYR Sport and protein powder from REDCON1. Don’t be surprised if Coach Laufer hooks his team up with more surprises!

Roster

Michael Issler

Mateo Botero

Ryan Aouad

Daniel Gertsik

Leo Bauer

Leo Sartini 

Alexander Paolini

Matthew Li

Andres Fuentes

Devon Roberts

Aidan Goldenberg

Domenic Mancuso

Collin Pickett

Enzo Islas

Renato Martins

Alex Easton

Daevon Brunner

Ryan Schultz

Nick Bouras

Aleksander Ljiljak

Megh Chatterjee

Freddy Abreu

Joshua Blyakher

Ioannis Michalakelis 

Xaiver Reid

Schedule 

Meet 1: 2/15 @ Olympic Heights

Meet 2: 2/22 Iron Rodeo (West Boca)

Meet 3: 2/29 TBD 

Meet 4: 3/7 Home vs. Boca High

Districts: 3/28 @ Olympic Heights 9 AM

Regional: 4/4-4/6 (Most likely St. Cloud)

States: 4/19-4/20 (Lakeland)